Job Title: CHILDREN’S LIBRARIAN
36 hours/week with benefits
Position: The Children’s Librarian is responsible for planning, implementing and presenting library programs and services to children, young adults and families.
Responsibilities & Duties:
1. Programming: Designs, promotes, presents and evaluates a variety of programs, such as storytelling, booktalking, book discussion groups, class tours, crafts, and other age-appropriate activities for children and young adults.
2. Outreach: Serves as liaison to the schools and performs outreach activities with organizations, agencies, day cares, schools, and home school providers in the community to creatively promote library services and facilitate programming and service delivery. 3. Collection Development & Maintenance: a) Consults a variety of reviewing sources and makes suggestions for the purchase of books, audio materials, magazines and multi-media materials of quality and interest for addition to the children’s and young adult fiction, non-fiction, and reference collections; b) Aids in the evaluation of the children’s and young adult collections, discarding obsolete and damaged materials and making suggestions for replacing titles and filling in subject areas as needed. 4. Reference: Provides instruction and assistance in the use of the computer catalog, Internet, and other computer resources and assists children and adults in selecting and locating materials in the youth collections. 5. Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
1) Knowledge of common computer applications with the ability to use/learn library software programs.
2) Ability to work well under stress and maintain a welcoming attitude; strong communication and interpersonal skills for providing quality customer service to patrons of all ages.
3) Ability to lift, carry & shelve library materials.
Education & Experience:
Any combination of training, education, and experience which demonstrates an ability to
perform the duties of the position. High school diploma or GED and experience working with children is required with 1 to 2 years post-secondary education preferred.
Please submit application, resume, and cover letter to City Hall by 5:00 p.m. on March 7th, 2014. Applications available at cityoforland.com
If you have questions about this position you may contact the library director, Jody Meza, at email@example.com. No phone calls, please.